Do you have a list of testimonials from your previous clients that can prove that you are a great mover?

Any mover can tell you that they have happy clients, but you should askto see testimonials to see proof that they have happy clients.

Do you have a website and online reviews?

In today’s day and age, you’ll be hard-pressed to find any business that is not online, and doesn’t have reviews. If a moving company doesn’t have a website, has no reviews, or has bad reviews, this should be an immediate red flag. You should be asking yourself if there is something that they are hiding.

Is your company licensed by the Illinois Commerce Commission as a Household Goods Mover, what is your license number?

All movers are required to be licensed by the Illinois Commerce Commission. Operating a moving company without this license is not only ILLEGAL, but it is ALSO ILLEGAL for a consumer to hire one of these “rogue” movers.Our license number is ILL C.C. 216214 M.C. If a mover can’t provide you with their license number, they probably do not have one.

What insurance policies do you carry, and can you provide me with an insurance certificate?

There are FOUR types of insurance policies that movers are required to have on file with the state to have a moving license. These are auto, general liability, workers compensation, and cargo insurance. If a mover does not have these, YOU ARE FULLY LIABLE if your house or building is damaged, if a worker is injured on your property, and if your possessions are damaged in an automobile accident. All movers should be able to produce this information within a relatively short period of time.

What level of liability do you provide?

WHAT MOST MOVERS WONT TELL YOU Many movers do not have the industry experience or full understanding of this concept. Movers DO NOT SELL INSURANCE, unless they are licensed insurance agents. What movers do offer is valuation coverage, which is based total weight of your move, and not the actual value of your items. Your mover’s liability may be less than the value of your items. According to law, movers are not liable for the full value of your property unless you pay an additional charge for that protection. Mover’s rates are based on 30 cents per pound, per article. If you choose to release the value of your goods at this level, you must write in your own handwriting the words “30 cents per pound per article” on the bill of lading. You may choose to release your goods at a higher valuation, but you will incur an additional cost.

What are some items that you will not transport and/or assume liability for?

Many movers will tell you that they will move anything, and that you are covered no matter what. If they tell you this, they are lying, they are inexperienced who don’t realize how valuable and fragile certain items can be, or they will be adding hidden “coverage” fees to your final bill. Movers do not take any responsibility if they move valuables such as cash, jewelry, family heirlooms, or documents. Additionally,a moving license does not give a company license to move explosives, many chemicals that can be found in a garage, live plants, or animals.

What kind of documentation and contract do you provide for the customer?

All licensed moving companies are required to give the customer an estimate form before the move starts, and a bill of lading (receipt for moving services) after the move is finished. If a company does not have these documents, it is probably because they are not licensed.

When I call your office, will I be speaking to the same person every time?

Some moving companies have a large staff and many departments. That is great for the company, because they are able to delegate different tasks to different people, but for the consumer, this makes it difficult if you want to communicate with the person who booked the move, the crew, the owner, file a claim for damages, or ask questions.If you are able to speak to the same person every time that you call the company, you can typically expect a service that is more tailored to your needs and better communication internally within the company about your specific move.

Are you willing to come to my house to give an in-person estimate?

An in-home estimate is not always needed, but should always be given when requested. Some larger companies who focus on large corporate contracts (a move where the employer pays to relocate an employee, usually for work related reasons) and long-distance moves,are more likely to avoid doing an in-home move. To them, smaller local moves are not a large portion of their business, and are not areas where they focus on their processes or customer service procedures.

Do you specialize in this type of move?

There are certain types of moves, such as apartment moves, 3000+ square foot house moves, moves that include a long carry (long distance from truck parking to final destination of items), commercial moves with high-value equipment, moves that include antiques, that all require certain skill sets and specialized employee training.You should explain to your mover how your move varies from other moves, and the ask what their plan is do handle this type of move. If they are an experienced mover, they should be able to tell you exactly what they are able to do.

Are you a full-time mover?

Somebody who is not a full-time mover probably doesn’t have the credentials to be a professional mover. With the high costs of insurance, truck maintenance, and other expenses associated with this industry, movers need to be constantly working to make a profit. A mover who doesn’t do this full-time is probably cutting corners somewhere in order to not have to be moving full-time